Monday, September 20, 2010

One of FBS's Designers Gets Married!! -- Newport, RI

Good Morning readers, it's Stephanie here ... and yes, I got married!!
If you don't know already, I'm kind of obsessed with succulents, organic elements and the color green, so naturally, this was the color palette for my wedding. I am also a huge fan of vintage styles, industrial qualities and graphic elements. Combining all of these factors seemed obvious to me, although explaining this thought process to most people was not easy, as their reaction was, "what? those don't go together... that's kind weird!". I refused to listen to them as I saw the whole wedding design in my head for over a year. Of course, the people that stood by my design and encouraged it tremendously was Semia and all my co-workers at FBS. Semia gave me the opportunity to create my vision and I couldn't have done it without her support, help and advice!
Brian and I had the wedding at the Island House at Belle Mer in Newport, RI. It was my dream location and the neutral background and gorgeous beach setting was just perfect!
Check out these photos from one of the best photographers, Kristin Spencer:
I had this insane idea to make my wedding invitations on screen printed balsa wood because of my love of the graphic nature of wood grain. The whole process of cutting down, sanding and screen printing the thin wood took me way longer than I want to admit, but I couldn't be happier with the results, and my guests really seemed to like them!
And of course, I just had to wear those bright green shoes to tie everything in!
I loved the idea of the cocktail space to be bright and fun and Tony from Ormonde Productions provided us with the coolest green silk light fixtures I could ask for!
I have my background in Interior Design as well so using fun printed assorted fabric for my bouquet wraps was a natural decision.
My dream is to have a living succulent wall , but living in New England and not on the West Coast, made me have to think outside of the box... So we came up with a living succulent work of art! I have a degree in Studio Art so pulling in my easel and painting background was a great personal touch!
I spent months trying to find a vintage typewriter that actually worked as my guest book...About 3 days before the wedding I was about to give up the idea until Stuart Horwitz, my event manager at Belle Mer, surprised me with his own typewriter obsession and let me borrow one of his personal machines! It was one of the nicest gestures from a vendor and my guests are still raving about it! And can you believe Stuart had one with a wood grain veneer?!
Our place card table was essential to the design of the wedding. I used Belle Mer's Tuscan Table (perfect organic wood grain element) to house a moss and succulent filled garden. I used large metal letters for our intials and gorgeous glass cloches to showcase gorgeous succulents. My actual place cards were pieces of balsa wood attached to large industrial metal nails.
My cake, made by Maureen at Something Different Cake Couture was EXACTLY what I envisioned!! I think Maureen might have thought I was insane to ask for a wood grained pattern carved into the wedding cake, but as you can see, it's just perfect! And not to mention it tasted AMAZING!
The ladies at FBS used awesome elements besides succulents and moss too. Whimsical Billy Balls, depetaled sunflowers, wooden flowers, wooden stumps and globe thistle were just some of them.
We had three different style centerpieces for our tables, consisting of a beautiful garden with a cloche and succulent, a square glass dish with gorgeous flowers and manzanita branches, and
a grouping of assorted vases. It was perfect.
Check out the gorgeous bird cage veil and hair flowers made by hand from Nancy Spirito of Bridal Finery in East Greenwich! Yet another vendor that carried out my vision perfectly!
My bouquet was by far the most amazing bouquet I'll ever have held! Semia made this one for me using all the elements I love so much! Wooden flowers, succulents, paper flowers, Dahlias, Brunea berries, poppy pods, Chocolate Cosmos etc etc etc...
When I saw this on the day of my wedding for the first time, I jumped up and down for about five minutes!
To continue the vintage feel, we had a photobooth at the reception. By far, it was one of the best ideas we had. Our guests were in the booth, from RI Photobooths, the entire night! They could go in it as many times as they wanted and we got a disk of all the photos. It was so great to be able to see all of our guests having so much fun! I would recommend it to EVERYONE!
Words can't even begin to describe how AMAZING our sweetheart table was! Semia asked me if she could surprise me with that element of the decor and surprise she did!! It was OVERFLOWING with RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME succulents!!! It was the best surprise I've ever had!! I could hardly focus on eating because all I wanted to do was stare at all of the succulents!! Semia completely out did herself with this one!!
To future FBS brides, if Semia asks you for your permission to let her surprise you, GIVE IT TO HER!!!!
Brian likes my green shoes ! (Phew!!)
Here's an example of one of the centerpiece styles. Love fiddlehead fern! It makes such a statement!
We incorporated balsa wood flowers and succulents in the boutonnieres as well.
I can't believe I found metal typewriter like buttons with our initials on them! Score!
I needed to make sure that the table numbers weren't your average table numbers of course! So I went to the hardware store and bought metal house numbers for that industrial feel!
Here's me with some of my favorite FBS ladies, Semia, Chris and Kathy!! They were all ESSENTIAL in making my wedding dream complete!!!
I hope you enjoyed a look into our wedding day!

2 comments: